Members Advantage E-Newsletter
Stay up to date with the latest special offers from our IEA Member Benefits.
Purchase a Cruise in 2019
Kick off 2019 with a tidal wave of cruise deals.From contemporary to premium and even luxury lines, NEA Vacations’ favorite cruise partners will be offering exclusive savings, onboard credits, beverage packages and many more special deals sure to make a splash. Get a head start on your 2019 vacation plans and book a cruise you’ll remember for years to come. Mark your calendar so you don’t miss this sale ON NOW! Go to NEA Vacations to book.
Prepare for Spring Break with Hotel and Resort Deals
- NEA Vacations: Use NEA Travel Dollars as currency to buy down the cost of a hotel stay. Choose from more than 300,000 hotels or resorts worldwide.
- Red Roof Inn: Save 20% on rooms at Red Roof Inn’s more than 550 locations nationwide.
Get Road Trip Ready with These Car Rental Discounts
- Dollar: Take 5% off car rental base rates at participating Dollar locations.
- Enterprise: Receive special discounts off of base rates.
- Hertz: Save up to 25% on car rental base rates, plus enjoy bonus savings on qualifying rentals.
- National: Enroll in the Emerald Club® for free! Bypass the counter and choose your own car when you join.
This NEA benefit offers a smart, easy way to finance your new home or refinance an existing mortgage. The program is available to members and their spouses, parents and children. This mortgage program offers low, competitive rates and a range of options to help you find the solution that’s right for you and your family.
Competitive rates and savings on fees
The FNBO Mortgage Program‘s low competitive rates can help make your next home more affordable. Pay no application fee, no origination fee, and no processing fee – an estimated value of $660.
Choose from a range of loan options
There’s a range of loan options available to help you find the mortgage that’s right for you and your family. Choose from conventional loans, FHA loans. VA loans and USDA loans.
Expert guidance every step of the way
FNBO loan experts are available to assist you in navigating the home purchasing or refinancing process. Also, check out the Home Buying Process Quick Guide to help you get started.
First National Bank of Omaha (FNBO) is committed to strengthening the communities they serve. As part of that commitment, they support initiatives related to adult basic education, vocational and employability training, financial and life-skills education as well as youth educational programs and support services. Since 2015, FNBO has invested more than $5 million in organizations dealing with education/awareness issues.
NEA Member Benefits (NEA MB) is pleased to introduce a new H&R Block Tax Preparation Discount for NEA members and their families, which provides significant savings on H&R Block’s tax preparation products and services.
Features of this H&R Block Tax Preparation offer include:
- Exclusive NEA member benefit: $25 off in-person tax preparation* at participating H&R Block U.S. offices
- 40% off online tax preparation products
- $10 off tax preparation downloadable software
- FREE “Second Look” Review: Check your past three years’ returns for missed credits and deductions to make sure you didn’t leave any money on the table
- Family members (e.g., spouse/domestic partner, dependents, and parents) are also eligible for the discounts
The H&R Block Tax Preparation Discount can be accessed on www.neamb.com under the “Everyday Savings” tab—just in time for members to file their 2018 income tax returns!
*$25 in-person discount valid for new clients only. A new client is an individual who did not prepare or file their prior year tax return in a H&R Block office. Coupon must be presented prior to completion of initial tax office interview and may not be combined with any other offer, or special promotion or pricing program. Discount valid only for tax prep fees for an original 2018 personal income tax return. Expires 4/10/19.
Show some love to your family and friends this Valentine’s Day!
NEA Click & Save, the online discount buying service for NEA members, features some discounts this month that might just be what you are looking for. Check out these possibilities!*
*Note: Up-to-date information on merchant discounts, shipping terms and WOW Points appears on the NEA Click & Save Web page at www.neamb.com/clickandsave and may change at any time.
Don’t forget to use your WOWPoints—they’re just like cash (100 WOW Points = $1; plus, no blackout dates and no expiration)!
- Perfume.com:Find thousands of brand name perfumes, colognes, and skin and hair care products from one of the top online fragrance retailers. Get 6X WOWPoints on your purchase!
- Sephora: Treat yourself or someone else to beauty products, including cosmetics and bath & body sets. Earn 2X WOWPoints, plus get free shipping on orders of $50 or more.
- Jewelry.com: Feast your eyes on amazing jewels, from everyday basics to couture, and at everyday prices. Earn 8X WOWPoints, too!
- Boscov’s: Choose from the widest assortment of famous brands and merchandise such as apparel, linens, home décor, and more. Get 3X WOWPoints on your purchase.
- LuggageGuy.com: Save up to 75% on designer luggage and bags from Pierre Cardin, Liz Claiborne, Diane Von Furstenberg, and Samsonite. Returns within 30 days get a replacement or refund.
- Dyson: Save up to $250 on select Dyson technology, including vacuums, fans & heaters, and hair care tools. Earn 3X WOWPoints on your purchase.
Be sure to check C&S often for unadvertised, limited time offers, including discount dining certificates from Restaurant.com. Join the thousands of NEA members already registered for NEA Click & Save. Go to www.neamb.com/clickandsave or http://www.neamb.com/shopping-discounts/nea-click-and-save-retail-discounts.htm and start saving today!
Locking — rather than cancelling — a card, will block purchases and other ways a thief could hurt you, while still allowing recurring payments and similar conveniences to carry on unaffected. Check out the following article.
By Miriam Cross
Canceling and replacing a lost debit or credit card can be a hassle. After the new card arrives in the mail, you need to update every retailer, streaming service or utility provider that relies on your card number for payments. Now, many banks and credit card issuers are adding the option of temporarily “locking” your card instead, in case you want to buy some time to search for your card.
The lock can be an on/off switch in the bank’s app or on its website, or it can be a more sophisticated feature that allows you to specify, say, the locations or the types of transactions that are approved for your card. A lock will typically prevent new purchases, ATM activity, cash advances and balance transfers, but it will allow automatic or recurring payments, returns, credits and dispute adjustments. For extra security, you can also turn a card “off” that you are leaving behind while on vacation. Most issuers allow indefinite locks, though American Express lifts a lock after seven days.
You should lock your card as soon as you notice it’s gone or find an unfamiliar charge, then investigate further before contacting your bank, says David Keenan, senior vice president in card products at Fiserv, a financial technology company that has a locking and alert app called CardValet (available at Fiserv partner banks). If you can’t find your card, notify your issuer. Most issuers will send you a new card free, but they may charge a fee for rush deliveries.
If you’re waiting for a new debit card to arrive and need to withdraw cash, a bank branch may provide you with a temporary debit card on the spot. Some issuers also help you update merchants with your new card number. American Express will allow most recurring payments to go through seamlessly. Bank of America may provide your new card number to merchants with whom you have recurring payments, and Wells Fargo’s Control Tower tool will show you a list of merchants with whom you’ve had recurring transactions within the past 12 months.
© 2019 The Kiplinger Washington Editors
Brought to you by NEA Member Benefits.
Content provided by:
The NEA® Cash Rewards Credit Card, provided by Bank of America, now gives cardholders the flexibility to choose how they earn rewards based on their changing priorities and interests. This is the first cash back card that offers this level of flexibility on earning and redeeming rewards.
As of January 14, 2019, cardholders are able to choose how they earn their three percent cash back from one of six popular categories: gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement and furnishings. Cardholders will continue to earn two percent cash back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs, and unlimited one percent cash back on all other purchases.
Cardholders can easily change their three percent category for future purchases once each calendar month in their Mobile Banking app or in Online Banking, or make no change and it stays the same. The three percent cash back category will initially be set to gas. The ability to choose the three percent category will automatically be applied to existing Cash Rewards accounts and all new Cash Rewards cards.
In addition to changing the way cardholders can earn rewards, the NEA Cash Rewards Credit Card offers more flexible redemption options. Members will continue to enjoy these other features of the NEA Cash Rewards Credit Card:
- No annual fee.
- Cash rewards don’t expire.
- Cardholders earn three percent and two percent cash back on the first $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club purchases each quarter, then earn one percent.
Current NEA Cash Rewards Credit Card cardholders are being notified about this new option by mail, email, and in their bank statements. If you have any questions about the enhanced NEA Cash Rewards Credit Card, go to https://www.neamb.com/products/nea-cash-rewards-card.
Save on wireless services with valuable discounts for NEA members from AT&T, the only national unionized wireless carrier.
· Save on wireless services with valuable discounts for NEA members from AT&T, the only national unionized wireless carrier.
· Family members are also eligible, so your whole family can save.
· Get 20% off select wireless accessories.
Sign up for new service, switch from a different carrier or apply the discount to your existing AT&T account—online or in person. Your entire family is eligible for the AT&T discount, saving you even more money. There are no activation or conversion fees for NEA members, and new equipment upgrades are only $18. If you’re an existing AT&T customer, you can enroll online or in person to start receiving NEA member discounts.
No matter how safely you drive, accidents can happen. Even the slightest fender bender can leave you feeling rattled. The key is to know what to do (and not do) before you’re hit by the reality of an accident.
If you or someone you’re with is injured, the first thing you should do is call 911 or your local emergency service number. Make sure you get the medical attention needed as soon as possible.
DON’T let another driver take a photo of your license. In this digital age, the ease of capturing a photo of your license (and all the info it reflects) gives crooks and scammers the opportunity to steal your identity and possibly wreak havoc on your finances.
DON’T share more information than necessary. In most cases, you shouldn’t provide your home address, phone number or driver’s license number to anyone other than a law enforcement officer at the scene.
Here’s a checklist of the information you should exchange:
- Each driver’s name
- Each vehicle’s make, model, color, year and VIN
- Each vehicle’s license plate number
- Each driver’s insurance company, policy number and phone number
NOTE: If the other driver doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t own the vehicle, you will need to ask for his or her home address, phone number and driver’s license number.
Fridge on the fritz? With your free access to the GE Appliances Store, you can get more for your money and replace your outdated appliances for less. Or upgrade your kitchen with something special such as a speed cooking oven or warming drawer.
· Pay discounted prices on GE home appliances, including the Profile and Café series.
· Save on refrigerators,freezers, ranges, dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, microwave ovens, speed cooking ovens and room air conditioners.
· Have your appliances delivered and installed free if you spend $399 or more.
· Get additional special online promotions and rebates from GE Appliances.
We all make these promises to ourselves at the beginning of a new year. And…invariably we, maybe as soon as two weeks later, have broken that “new year’s resolution”and gone back to our norm. BUT – THIS NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION, if you keep it and “keep on” keeping it will save you money BECAUSE YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE IEA/NEA.
IEA members have provided great examples of the savings they have experienced using the IEA’s Educator Access Discount Program: $200 savings on a trip to Orlando; a $230 room in Hawaii for $95; $100 savings at the Anniversary Inn in Boise; two for one pizzas; $645 savings on a rafting trip! Here’s an interesting fact: In July 2018 alone IEA members saved collectively $10,061 using this IEA Member Benefit!
You can enjoy similar savings: go to the IEA Member Benefits website, ieamemberbenefits.org scroll down and click on the picture of the IEA membership card to take you to the Access website. Register with the last 7 digits of your membership card number (hint – you will find the same number on the mailing label on any mailing you receive from NEA), your personal e-mail address, and create a password. You only need to register once. Each time thereafter you sign in with your e-mail and password. Begin to search and take advantage of the some 350,000 discounts available nationwide. (There is also a free mobile app available for your assistance. Follow the instructions on the website to download. The app is GPS friendly and will alert you to local discounts wherever you are!)
Other ways to save with Member Benefits discounts:
- NEA Click and Save:
- Save on brand-name merchandise from more than 800 top retailers, online stores and local merchants.
- Find exclusive savings on clothing,electronics, restaurants, jewelry, movie tickets and more.
- Receive advance notice of upcoming sales and special events in your area.
- TicketsatWork.com (inquire of IEA Member Benefits about using this benefit – 1-800-223-6583; 208-344-8336):
- Save up to 50% on lift tickets at ski resorts nationwide.
- Universal Studios Hollywood – save up to 25%.
- Legoland California – save up to 45%.
- Sporting events nationwide – save up to 50%.
- Six Flags theme parks – save up to 45%
- Vegas,NYC shows, etc. – save dozens of $$.
- NEA Vacations:
- Discounts on hotels, resorts, cruises, guided tour, air fare.
Check out all NEA Member Benefits discounts at www.neamb.com >What We Offer.
REPEAT AFTER ME: I do solemnly swear, that I will use my NEA/IEA Member Benefits discount programs forever, and save oodles of money, and ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!
WAYS TO SAVE ON YOUR HOLIDAY SHOPPING WITH “IEA’S EDUCATOR ACCESS PROGRAM” AND THE “NEA CLICK AND SAVE PROGRAM”
Get into the holiday shopping spirit with great deals and more from the IEA Educator Access Program! To start saving, just go to the IEA Member Benefits website (www.ieamemberbenefits.org) and click on the IEA membership card. if you have not already done so, register with the last 7 digits of your IEA member number (it’s on your IEA membership card [or the same number in on the mailing label from any publication you receive from NEA]), your personal e-mail address, and create a password. (You only need to register once. Each time thereafter you sign in with your e-mail and password.) Once on the Access site check out all the savings categories in the left-hand banner. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!!
NEA Click and Save: Check out the most popular on-line discount program for NEA members and their families. This exclusive shopping service offers savings on brand name merchandise from hundreds of top retailers, online stores, and local merchants. Save on clothing, electronics, restaurants, jewelry, movie tickets and more! Plus. WOW points can be earned with every “Click and Save” purchase that will allow you to save even more on future purchases (or even get something FREE!)
SAVE LOTS OF MONEY AND ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS
California Casualty is looking to help public school sports programs in need, with the 2019 Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grant program. Middle schools and high schools seeking funds for their program can apply at www.calcasathleticsgrant.com. Applications must be received by January 15, 2019 for consideration for the 2018/2019 academic year.
Qualifying teams can receive $1,000 to $3,000.
The grant is named for California Casualty Chairman Emeritus Tom Brown, an avid sportsman who believes that teamwork, confidence and sportsmanship help develop high achievers in academics and in life.
Last year, athletes at 79 public middle schools and high schools in 33 states benefited from $83,000 awarded to aid sports programs affected by tight budgets.
The 2018 Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grants helped:
- Crosby High School (Connecticut) purchase a tackling and blocking sled to increase football team player safety
- Burley Jr/Sr. High School (Idaho)
- Somersworth Middle School (New Hampshire) outfit the softball team with new uniforms
- Red Bay High School (Alabama) provide uniforms and equipment for the baseball team
- Santan Junior High School (Arizona) invest in soccer and track and field equipment for the school’s ADAPTS sports activities for autistic students
- Firth Middle School (Idaho)
- Gervais Middle School (Oregon) provide the track and field team with sweat suits and a canopy to protect athletes during cold weather meets
- Coalinga High School (California) supply balls, jerseys and shoes for the girls basketball team
Since its inception in 2011, more than $660,000 has been awarded to some 600 schools across the nation.
“The Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grants are another example of California Casualty’s commitment to educators and students,” said Lisa Almeida, Assistant Vice President. “We are proud to help students and schools compete at a higher level.”
Public middle and high schools whose sports programs have been impacted by inadequate budgets should apply for the 2018/2019 California Casualty Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grant program at www.calcasathleticsgrant.com. The deadline for consideration is January 15, 2019.
California Casualty has served educators since 1951 (a business partner with the IEA and IEA Member Benefits since 1988) and has provided the NEA® Auto and Home Insurance Program since that time. The company has other initiatives that give back to educators for all their hard work including the $7,500 School Lounge Makeover®, www.YourSchoolLounge.com/NEA ; $500 California Casualty Award for Teaching Excellence, in conjunction with the NEA Foundation, www.neafoundation.org/for-educators/awards-for-teaching-excellence; and $200 Help Your Classroom grants, www.calcas.com/help-your-classroom.
Headquartered in San Mateo, California, with Service Centers in Arizona, Colorado and Kansas, California Casualty provides auto and home insurance to educators, firefighters, law enforcement and nurses. Founded in 1914, California Casualty has been led by four generations of the Brown family. Learn more at www.calcas.com or by calling 1.800.800.9410.